SHAH ALAM: Assemblymen from both sides of the political divide took turns to point fingers at each other over the water crisis faced by millions of consumers in the Klang Valley.
When debating a motion asking the Selangor government not to give approval to the construction of the Langat 2 treatment plant before finalising all details pertaining to the water restructring exercise, Sulaiman Abdul Razak (BN-Permatang) blamed the state government for causing the people to suffer.
“Barisan Nasional representatives want approval for Langat 2 so that the people can have continuous water supply.
“Now that this motion is seeking the state government to stall the project, the public can see who are trying to make the situation difficult,” he said yesterday.
Azmin Ali (PKR-Bukit Antarabangsa) then defended the motion, brought by Lau Weng San (DAP-Kampung Tunku), saying the state was merely hoping to get more details in the water restructuring exercise.
He also blamed Barisan for supporting Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor Sdn Bhd (Syabas) although the concessionaire had failed to reduce non-revenue water in the state.
At this juncture, State Opposition Leader Datuk Shamsuddin Lias (BN-Sungai Burong) said it was premature to blame Syabas when its capital expenditure had been frozen by the state.
Azmin then claimed Syabas had misused the funds.
“Instead of using the funds to reduce non-revenue water, Syabas used the money to buy a fancy car and build a nice building,” he said.
Just before passing the motion, Selangor Mentri Besar Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim (PKR-Pelabuhan Klang) said it was not necessary to get everyone involved in the water deal.
He said a similar approach had been adopted at the federal level, adding that Enery, Green Technology and Water Minister Datuk Seri Dr Maximus Ongkili had also not got all the MPs involved.
“It is better for just a selected few to look into this deal as it is difficult to get everyone’s comments and suggestions on the matter,” he said, assuring the House that those involved in the water deal were experts.
Meanwhile, Syabas said several areas in the Klang Valley – Jalan Serendah and Jalan Besar Serendah (Rawang), Jalan Universiti (Petaling Jaya) and Jalan Subang (Sungai Buloh) – did not receive water supply as scheduled on Wednesday due to burst pipes.
“Water supply resumed as soon as repair works were completed.
“Their period of water supply will also be extended,” Syabas corporate communications and public affairs assistant general manager Priscilla Alfred said.
To me, it’s quite clear why MB Selangor not letting his DUNs or ALL his excos involved in the water deal. With all due respect, if ADUNs and exco behave like this, people in Selangor will not see water flowing their taps often as today ( literally today when Selangor still under water ration).
Water enough till 2019??? We are still in 2014 yet Selangor struggle with water ration!
Please my dear ADUNs. Act and behave as you should be.
Question on the street: Still wanna play politics over water???